We all must have heard of the idiom “EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING’’. This idiom is very much appropriate during this pandemic as each and every person irrespective of age and sex has been affected by it. The COVID 19 spread has taught us that adopting a healthy lifestyle is the best protection shield from most of the diseases. What we never considered as a source of happiness, has now become the major missed parts of our lives, amidst this pandemic. Being free to roam around, do our daily chores without tension, visiting parks, walks, meeting family and friends etc. have become the most sought after activities of human life to feel happy and content.
No doubt the whole world is suffering today and amidst the tension of contracting the virus, the story doesn’t end if the person once gets the infection and recovers. There are multiple signs and symptoms seen in the recovered patients as well. It’s not only the physical symptoms that take time to vanish but mental health of the person is also at stake. Symptoms like fever, fatigue, body ache, cough, sore throat, difficulty in breathing, etc. develop after the contraction of the corona virus and might still remain even after the virus is no more present. The recovery period is likely to be longer for patients who suffered the severe form of disease or those with pre-existing illness making management as well as treatment of Post-COVID signs and symptoms all the more important.
Homoeopathy will no doubt be a helpful aid and tool in the recovery of Post-Covid symptoms. Homoeopathic approach is a boon in today’s times where new theories and strains of Corona Virus keep coming up presenting with varied symptoms. Homoeopathy, as a healing method, relies on the totality of the symptoms revealed during the entire evolution of the infection.
It is a known fact that the virus, once it is inside the body, does not isolate and attack the respiratory system alone, but instead makes its way to multiple organs.
Some patients who had recovered had to contact their consultant either with mild symptoms or severe like low oxygen saturation levels, spectrum of lung diseases or reduced heart function, heart attack or even stroke.
The mild symptoms that are commonly seen in the patients, after recovering from COVID-19 are:
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Anxiety and depression
- Body pain
- Throat hoarseness &/or dry cough
It is of utmost importance to monitor and administer a proper post-discharge rehabilitation plan to monitor the patient’s health, so timely intervention can be done
There are few things that COVID survivors should be monitored frequently for:
- Oxygen saturation levels
- Respiratory symptoms like persistence or worsening of cough and breathlessness
- Rise of body temperature above 1000F
- Lethargy, drowsiness
- Blood sugar levels in known diabetics.
- Blood pressure
The major Homoeopathic remedies that can be of help in the recovery are:
- Rhus toxicodendron: For post viral body aches. It also plays a major helpful role in relieving associated respiratory symptoms.
- Gelsemium: is a very helpful remedy in case of general body weakness and dizziness. It works well when a person has a tendency to faint
- Viscum album: is a good remedy for depression and cardiac disorders. It helps in improving immunity.
- Natrum mur: is helpful in recovering from fatigue and exhaustion.
- Glonoine: deals with headache and drowsiness, especially the congestive headache.
- China: helps in improving post-disease appetite. Relieves bloating and stomach disorders.
The remedies should be taken with proper Consultation of registered homeopathic practitioner only. Self-medication should be strictly avoided.
Along with these medicines other helpful measures are:
- Maintaining hydration
- Taking proper rest
- Engaging in positive and motivating events and hobbies.
- Talking about sufferings and feelings with well-wishers.
- Taking healthy nutritious food and supplements, if advised.
- Being physically active by engaging in activities like yoga, walk, warm up exercises and aerobics.
- Listening to music as it is considered to have healing power.
- Even after recovery from COVID, proper precautions need to be taken like using mask, maintaining hand & respiratory hygiene and physical distancing.
- Professional routine should be resumed in graded manner
- Recovered patients should look for early warning signs such as high grade fever, breathlessness, drop in oxygen levels, unexplained chest pain, new onset of confusion or focal weakness. If any of these are experienced, the consultant should be contacted immediately.